Skip to main content

Treasure Chest

I built a treasure chest. With gold frills and jewel pieces. I laced the chest with silver coils, shaping danger signs barring curious explorers from opening it. Inside it I put an Egyptian ankh, the toe of the first homo erectus man. Over the years I found more great wonders, like the diary of Amelia Earhart, the Bermuda Triangle's secret. I put it all in this treasure chest of mine, and said, the day will come, when one will dare open this chest.

I have to admit the exterior wasn't as strong as it was misleading. I threw the magic hair dust of a pixie that left a packet under the pillow when I lost my first tooth. Some would see, instead of a beautiful chest a dirty sack of socks. Others would see a dining table, and apart from inquiring why on earth it was placed in the middle of a bedroom, they would not give it a second look. Still more came and saw a hardened wooden chastity chest, but there was one that commented that the box looked like a diamond in the rough.

I delighted at the observations at first, because I knew what I had in the chest. I could see through the pixie dust. Then I lost sight of the shine on gold, and soon the coil looked weathered and weak. The gems were dusty and the box lost it's lustre. So one day when the man came over for dinner, and chanced upon the chest, I thought he was crazy.

The man said, he saw a chest. He wondered what treasures it had, and I called him a fruitcake and delusional. He laughed, not taking offence and said he wanted to open it. I told him to go ahead, and I was proven right. The ankh was stuck together with lollypop sticks, and the Bermuda's secrets were snippets from an old paper describing it. The toe of the first human man was nothing but a dirty acorn, decomposing happily in the warmth of the air from the years gone.

But the diary was of mine. Of a girl with imagination that would astound Enid Blyton. There were drawings inside it that probably meant something, in the mind of the artist aged eight. But they didn't make sense now. It was a dirty old box, gathering dust in the corner of a bedroom that was no longer used.

That night, in the dark, I looked at the chest that had so much hope. Not hope for the world but for a future and a life so beautiful and in sync. I did not know when I had lost sight of the chest and try as I may I could not see it as it was. I panicked and threw it out of the window. How could I not see it, when it belonged to me?

Comments

Eni said…
I am elated to learn that you have written a diary that would even astound Enid Blyton. Maybe, we may look forward for you publishing that diary, maybe as long as you do not have some skeltons in the closet to disclose. Enid Blyton also wrote a lot of personal diaries, although most of the diaries she wrote during her most productive part of her career as a writer were destroyed. Nonetheless, you may be glad to learn that I have published a book on Enid Blyton, titled, The Famous Five: A Personal Anecdotage (www.bbotw.com).
Stephen Isabirye

Popular posts from this blog

Celebrations

This post has been published by me as a part of the Blog-a-Ton 16 ; the sixteenth edition of the online marathon of Bloggers; where we decide and we write. To be part of the next edition, visit and start following Blog-a-Ton . It was a hard ground that felt like sand paper. When he started his journey, it was the soles of his feet that were in contact with the ground, but now as he pulled himself closer to the station, it was his whole body. His elbows were scraped, bloody and fresh scab peeled bled out to leave a trail of red on the wicked hot dusty ground of pain and suffering. All around him slow moving bodies crawled towards the direction of hope, all along leaving patterns of blood, sweat, skin and pus. These bodies had seen civil wars, droughts, genocide and lived to tell a tale of a people who now belonged to a nation listed as one of the poorest countries in the world. This is now, but before the list, was a struggle of massive proportions, under reported and quietly hidden

Escape

This post has been published by me as a part of the Blog-a-Ton 10 ; the tenth edition of the online marathon of Bloggers; where we decide and we write. To be part of the next edition, visit and start following Blog-a-Ton . The Temple Widow A narrow dirt path, generously peppered with tiny pebbles, tiny miniatures of their gargantuan ancestors, leads to a bridge. It hangs, rickety and old. Old but not well used, old like abandoned and not frequently used. The bridge hangs low over a small stream that slowly gurgles past, happy unlike those that visit the place. The bridge leads to a temple. It is not very big, only perhaps the size of a small hut and at the most the size of an average temple hall. The temple has no deity; the temple has no one corner that doesn’t look like the other. It is clean, well swept, and empty. It has no furniture, and excepting a series of well spaced out windows, the walls remains uninterrupted. She stumbles in, the lady. She is not very tal

Time Travel

This post has been published by me as a part of the Blog-a-Ton 8 ; the eighth edition of the online marathon of Bloggers; where we decide and we write. To be part of the next edition, visit and start following Blog-a-Ton . I haven't got the memory of a vedic tantric. Neither do I ever claim to remember all. All I know is what I know, question my memory if you want to. I don't ask you to remember, I don't ask you to believe. In fact, I'm not asking you for anything at all. It is your choice to be here, to read this. So no, I don't owe you a favor. I happened to chance upon a watch, on one of my travels. Turning the dials of such a watch, could transport you to the past, to the future, to any time. But time, my friend, is not how you think it is. It is not a straight line, and you cannot just by chance hop into the world of dinosaurs and wooden weapons. It is a series of transparencies, like films of clean sheets of paper laid on top of each other. You look from above