Skip to main content

Off Products Available in India: Not Tested on Animals- India

 
 
A while ago, I turned vegan. It took me three months, to turn myself out of it, but I can safely say, that that experience changed the person in me. It started off with this documentary  and hit me hard. Possibly, owning a dog made a difference, the fact that I know him and have realized that 'they' deserve better.

Anyhow, I've never looked at a piece of chicken the same way. I couldn't keep myself vegan, so I've done the best that I can do, given my shoddy will power. It's not much, but it is something, and honestly, it's not debatable. No camel, elephant rides. No zoos or circuses, wool, leather, feathers or shells. I'm leaving them alone, materially.

And the most recent change has been with cosmetics and toiletries. I was luckier when I started off a couple of months ago, that I am now. The stock of products that I've had, has run out, and where before I was looking for shampoo/conditioner/body wash, I find myself looking for kajal, mascarra and others that have not been tested on animals. I hate to say this but there isn't much information out there, for someone like me, atleast not that I could find on the net, and this is my attempt for those out there, that may be facing the same conundrums.

I'm listing down some products who's personal product statments mention that they do not test on animals. As Tejaswee quotes, I don't want to blind a rabbit for 'beauty'. It's not worth it for me.


Some products to consider:

Avon: has the whole range of cosmetics, bath and body, male & female. I don't really use make up as much, like shimmer and what not. Shampoo/Conditioner/Shower Foam/ Hand/Body Lotion - honestly, they aren't that great. Another pain area is the fact that it generally takes my office Avon Girl a few weeks to get it, not as convenient, say when she's not around or I forget etc.

Oriflame: I remember using some of their products when I was younger. Haven't used any recently, considering this as an alternative, though now I'll have to rely on the Oriflame girl.

Body Shop:  So Body Shop is possibly one of the most well known companies. Also one of the few brands that offer Vegan products (Vegan: to understand Vegan, watch the documentary, no a dictionary meaning will not suffice). While I can't say much about their body wash, I do love the creams & the scents. Again, don't use make up as much, so I'm not too sure on their cosmetic wing. The only problem is, that in 2006, they were bought by L'Oreal, which is one of those brands that does indulge in animal testing. Again, this would be a personal call- I'm saving Body Shop as a final alternative.

Organic Surge: Saw this in the shop near my place. Thinking I'm going to give the brand a shot, given that it's animal testing free.

Biotique: Unfortunately I could'nt find a link for the company, which is odd. But, they've got their statement out on the Facebook page. An old favorite, I stopped using Biotique a while ago, because their products don't always smell all that nice. I suppose, this is one of the easier options :D

Lotus Herbals:  Pleasant surprise, I did not know that this was true of Lotus Herbals. Definitely another of the easier, cheaper alternatives, also read that they have a few vegan lipstick. Now I just need to find the shade I use from Maybeline...

Himalaya as a brand is also a good alternative, For make up there's Chambor. that are also vegetarian/ vegan. This is quite awesome news, the product is on my list of good makeup brands.

And have just realized that I've stumbled onto gold on the PETA website. Free catalogues of brands that are animal free available, put the address in and your own catalogue shall arrive in the mail. Damn.. another necessity: hair colour. I suppose Wella it will have to be, until there's another alternative.

Still Looking for: Deodrants/ Anti- Prespirant Roll Ons- If any of you has suggestions, please drop it as a comment!
 

Comments

x said…
I'm not vegan, but I'm definitely a vegetarian. My food eats only vegetables :D
Maliny said…
Kudos to you for the decision saro ! I gave eating meat after i came to know the cruel manner they are killed for food . ANd the article is very useful as you have highlighted the products in a detailed manner :)
Rat said…
nice post. i have read Fa products including deodorants/roll-ons are not tested on animals..
deepti said…
Please remove body shop from this list...else people will buy a great deal from body shop and L'Oréal will benefit... let L'Oréal first stop thier cruelty. ...

Popular posts from this blog

Celebrations

This post has been published by me as a part of the Blog-a-Ton 16 ; the sixteenth edition of the online marathon of Bloggers; where we decide and we write. To be part of the next edition, visit and start following Blog-a-Ton . It was a hard ground that felt like sand paper. When he started his journey, it was the soles of his feet that were in contact with the ground, but now as he pulled himself closer to the station, it was his whole body. His elbows were scraped, bloody and fresh scab peeled bled out to leave a trail of red on the wicked hot dusty ground of pain and suffering. All around him slow moving bodies crawled towards the direction of hope, all along leaving patterns of blood, sweat, skin and pus. These bodies had seen civil wars, droughts, genocide and lived to tell a tale of a people who now belonged to a nation listed as one of the poorest countries in the world. This is now, but before the list, was a struggle of massive proportions, under reported and quietly hidden

Escape

This post has been published by me as a part of the Blog-a-Ton 10 ; the tenth edition of the online marathon of Bloggers; where we decide and we write. To be part of the next edition, visit and start following Blog-a-Ton . The Temple Widow A narrow dirt path, generously peppered with tiny pebbles, tiny miniatures of their gargantuan ancestors, leads to a bridge. It hangs, rickety and old. Old but not well used, old like abandoned and not frequently used. The bridge hangs low over a small stream that slowly gurgles past, happy unlike those that visit the place. The bridge leads to a temple. It is not very big, only perhaps the size of a small hut and at the most the size of an average temple hall. The temple has no deity; the temple has no one corner that doesn’t look like the other. It is clean, well swept, and empty. It has no furniture, and excepting a series of well spaced out windows, the walls remains uninterrupted. She stumbles in, the lady. She is not very tal

Time Travel

This post has been published by me as a part of the Blog-a-Ton 8 ; the eighth edition of the online marathon of Bloggers; where we decide and we write. To be part of the next edition, visit and start following Blog-a-Ton . I haven't got the memory of a vedic tantric. Neither do I ever claim to remember all. All I know is what I know, question my memory if you want to. I don't ask you to remember, I don't ask you to believe. In fact, I'm not asking you for anything at all. It is your choice to be here, to read this. So no, I don't owe you a favor. I happened to chance upon a watch, on one of my travels. Turning the dials of such a watch, could transport you to the past, to the future, to any time. But time, my friend, is not how you think it is. It is not a straight line, and you cannot just by chance hop into the world of dinosaurs and wooden weapons. It is a series of transparencies, like films of clean sheets of paper laid on top of each other. You look from above